Saturday, October 15, 2011

Small Paintings, Big Ideas



Title: Late Afternoon, Peace Valley Park
Size: 6 x 9, Oil on Panel
Unframed

SOLD

Some of you may know about how I paint my large landscapes. I do a field study, small in size and quickly executed and then write tons of notes - everything from the temperature and light direction to the mood of the place and then take a reference photo. When I get back in the studio, they are translated into larger works.

At the last show, these small works virtually sold out. So I've decided to do more of them and offer them unframed (which can be considerable cost, depending on the frame and framer) and directly from my blog. This ongoing series of small works is being titled "Small paintings, Big Ideas".

One of my favourite local places to paint is Peace Valley Park in Doylestown and this scene begged to be painted. Light shifts very quickly, especially this time of year later in the day, but the challenge is incredible fun!

No comments: